The 16th Annual Run Against Teen Violence is scheduled for this month, Saturday, September 18th, 2021 at Courtland High School in Spotsylvania, Virginia. The run is intended to bring awareness to teen violence and the effects it has on victims, families, the perpetrator and the community. This run is held in honor of Baron “Deuce” Braswell who was murdered by a senseless act of violence in 2006. Come out and join us. We will have food, music, moon bounces, prizes for participants and guest speakers that will cover issues pertaining to teen violence.
• Open Class: The top three men and women finishers each receive cash prizes of $400 for first place, $200 for second place and $100 for third place.
• Masters Class: The top male and female finishers over 40 years of age each receive a $75 gift card.
• One-mile Fun Run: For children 14 and under. All participants receive a medal.
• Combination Age Classes: Classes in five-year increments from 15 to 65 years of age. For example, 15 to 19, 20 to 24, up to 65. There is a separate class for participants 65 and over. The top three men and women finishers in all age groups receive an award.
• School Spirit Award: The top three schools with the most officially registered participants will receive $1,000 for first place, $500 for second place and $250 for third place.
• Germanna Race for Credits: Germanna college students have a chance to win a three-credit course or up to $500 to put towards a three-credit course just for participating in this event. The prize is awarded via a random drawing after the event. In order to be eligible for the drawing students must register at braswellrun.com or submit a paper application obtained at any student lounge and participate in the run. “Germanna” must be entered as the school in order to be included in the raffle. As this is a participation award, finishing order is not at consideration for the drawing. Money will be credited to the winning student’s account and used for the next semester.
The route is mostly level and extends onto Smith Station Road that will be closed to traffic during the 5K Run/Walk. There are no toilets on the course, but a there will be a drinking water station at the 1.8 mark. Any runner leaving the established route will be disqualified. We will have Course Marshals along the route if participants should need assistance. No unregistered runners or vehicles will be allowed. Dogs are also prohibited. Jogging strollers are allowed for walkers only.
Bring a nonperishable food item to donate to the Fredericksburg Area Food Bank so we can help the bank reach its goal of ending hunger in our community.
All of us at Deuces Gardens support the effort to bring awareness to this critical issue facing our youth and community. We encourage everyone to come out and participate in the 16th Annual Baron “Deuce” Braswell Run Against Teen Violence. Only by working together can we bring the issue of teen violence into the awareness of our fellow citizens and protect our youth.
If you are interested in participating in the run, you can sign up HERE!